expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Letters To Friends About Hats

Dear Vogue,

The hats that your models wear don’t seem to fit them so well. They are only human but there hats say otherwise. There hats are silent whispers that fill little girls heads until they explode with envy and self hate. The hats that fit those 6’3 90lb girls that run the world don’t seem to fit me or any other girl very well. Please change their hats, I want to see there faces because whats underneath the hat is what matters.

Love, 5/3/14

Dear Mom,

I saw your hat come off last night and it made me smile because the hat hair you hide beneath that hat is more beautiful than words can even describe. You are perfect in every sense. Stop wearing hats. Stop hiding your eyes. Stop hiding your forehead and let it all show because you're the most beautiful when your hats off.

Love, your daughter

Dear boy I am in love with,

I am sorry that it’s taking so long for me to take off my hat. It’s scary because I don’t want to let you see what’s underneath. It’s terrifyingly messy underneath there and it looks like I haven’t showered in weeks. Please just be patient. I promise i’ll shower and let you see underneath when I think its beautiful enough.

Love, your best friend

Dear dog in the street yesterday,

Thanks for letting me take my hat off around you. Even though you were digging in my neighbors trash cans while I was petting you, I didn’t need a hat and that felt good.

Love, that weird girl that pet your back while you were in the trash can

Dear Me,

Your hat has begun to fit you too well and that’s a really scary thought. Stop staying in your comfort zone and let everyone see your whole entire face because it’s not so fun hiding under that baseball brim. Next time you pass a mirror in the halls of Lone Peak look into it. Look in and make sure you’re not wearing a hat because I know you just want people to know you, the real you. 


Love me

6 comments:

  1. "I didn’t need a hat and that felt good."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Your hat has begun to fit you too well and that’s a really scary thought."

    very cool metaphor (I fear the same thing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. same this is different than all the other hat posts, and I love that you wrote to the dog, dogs are the best

      Delete
  4. Next time you pass a mirror in the halls of Lone Peak look into it. Look in and make sure you’re not wearing a hat because I know you just want people to know you, the real you.

    YES YES YES. This is awesome. I was trying to find a way to talk about hats because they can mean so many different things and I just LOVE how you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great concept.

    Of course, the one to your mom. But it was the dog one that got me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete